“Finish your Dissertation, don’t let it finish you” – Joanne Broder Sumerson
What does a fellow do during most of his time spent during a Ph.D. program? The answer is pretty much clear – he researches and writes his dissertation with the ultimate aim to obtain the Ph.D. degree. But what are the components which structure a good dissertation? It is the chapters that need to be designed, formatted, and constructed according to particular research guidelines and norms. But, what should be there in all those chapters? Is it like any book on a particular scholarly topic? No! Strictly no, because there are clear demarcations between scholarly books, articles, and a dissertation.
Well, a research dissertation has 5 important divisions, which are formulated according to the requirement from any research dissertation, and created by guidance of many significant international bodies of research. Now let’s come to those 5 chapters which take a toll of any research scholars while formulating them with so many important components of research. Here are these 5 chapters of any dissertation.
- Literature review
- Methodology & Findings
- Analysis & Synthesis
If you have been looking for dissertation help, then do read further and you will get to know the in-and-out of these 5 chapters of a dissertation.
“The beginning is the most important part of the work” – Plato
Introduction is the beginning and the mandatory part of any dissertation. This part introduces the research problems, and the context of the study with the peer reviewers. An important norm for any research introduction is that it should be informative and unique as a document. Some frequently asked questions can hereby be discussed to better understand about this part.
What are the important components to be incorporated and evaluated in this part of a research work?
- Problem Statement- This portion includes the problem of the area, the literature, studied, and it has to be traced in a broader context of the study.
- Statement of Purpose- It showcases the major objectives and intent of the literature, or particular area of study chosen.
- Research Questions- Some specific non-conflated questions associated with the research purpose are traced in this section.
- Overview of the methodology- This section encompasses the chosen methodologies, be it qualitative, or action, or evaluative, or applicable for the particular research.
- Rationale and Significance- Rationale addresses the justification of the study, whereas Significance refers to the benefits of particular research.
Apart from these, some other important elements of this section are, the role of the researcher, assumptions, definition of the key terminologies, organization of the dissertation, etc.
What are some common errors to be found in this section by a dissertation writer?
- Clarification of the study area
- Dearth of comprehensibility to understand the relation between scope, area, and significance of study.
Let’s check some frequently asked questions related to this section.
What is it all about?
This section talks about the earlier substantial research, documents and study related to the field of research chosen by the researcher or dissertation writer. It generally depicts the limitations of the analysis through earlier research and study on the same field. It synthesizes and integrates different modes and techniques used to research on the same area to answer some research questions. It also deciphers multiple argument, interpretation and analysis of the earlier literature to sometimes give an insight about a new route of study, left unspoken, and also some kind of intervention upon some inferences and assumption, inculcated either by the earlier researcher, or the present ones.
What are the key elements to be incorporated here?
- Review of Literature- It clearly describes the early findings of the literature or the study, which is enmeshed with the scope, theory, purpose, research questions, perspectives, methods and the overall bodies of the selected literatures. Some gaps, limitations, shortcomings and debates on the review has to be presented with rationale, and interpretive manners.
- Conceptual framework- The conceptual framework involves the theories, structure, methods of interpretation and review- to be precise it draws a bridge between the constructs and ideas. To top at all a researcher’s conceptual framework should be tidy and intelligible as this section reflects the idea of the methodologies of the interpretation of the findings.
- Summary- Summarization of the literature review is a must to do a job.
What are the frequently found errors in this section?
- Insubstantial amount of reviews. For instance, failure to produce a decent number of sources.
- Lack of depth in review. For instance, uses of non-scholarly articles to demonstrate the area of study.
- Building a catalogue of reviews than creating a review with proper synthesis and interpretation.
Source: Duke Graduate School
Methodology and Findings
What do you mean by Methodology and Findings as the stage of a dissertation?
Research methodologies are basically some methods of research involving the collection of data, justifying the context, analyses of the data, checking the trustworthiness of the sources and finding the limitations and delimitations. On the other hand, Findings are all about logical formulations of the problems, research questions and design. Finding should be some thick narrative data written in relation with substantive explanatory texts and visual data. In both the segments, a proper introduction and summary should be added for a clean idea of the work.
What are some frequent errors to be found in this section?
- Manipulative findings to match the expectation of the research hypothesis
- Biasness of the dissertation writer in both data collection, analysis and findings
- Dearth of clarification in data presentation
- Issues regarding data collection and authenticity of the sources
Analysis and Synthesis
This dissertation chapter mainly enunciates the analyses of all those data and findings, collected from the review of Literature, and the synthesis of the Literature review, Conceptual framework, patterns and themes of the analyses. Let’s quickly have a look at the frequently asked questions.
What are the quality markers of this section?
- Systemic way of interpretation
- Multiple layers of interpretation and discussions
- Established credibility
- High level analysis with the description of plausible explanation
What are the frequently found errors?
- Simple analyses
- Questions on credibility and plausibility of the explanations and sources of explanation
“Let the views of others educate and inform you, but let your decisions be a product of your own conclusions” – Jim Rohn
The conclusive part of any dissertation is the most important part of any research thesis as it unveils the summarization of any research work. In this dissertation chapter, we can witness the suggestions of applicability of new research outcomes. It’s mainly based on the integration of findings, analyses, interpretation and synthesis. Conclusion of any dissertation must be logical and interpretive as well as dynamic in nature. There must be some recommendation and suggestions regarding the implication of the analyzed outcomes.
What are some frequent errors to be found here?
- Overgeneralization of research outcomes to produce any such recommendation
- Lack of clarity in bridging the links between the review of literature and recommendation, resulting in less practical implication of the complete research.
So far, we have tried to depict the basics of a research body, and the chapters composed in it. We have tried to give an overview of the frequently asked question regarding these 5 dissertation chapters, to understand a certain depth of any model of research. Some errors are seen in the papers of many research scholars, which definitely results in some kind of blunders in their academic career. It’s not an easy task to be a researcher and cater to a noble and innovative profession.
If You Still Have Queries Regarding Dissertations, Then Allow Us To Sort Them Out
One can certainly take help from an online professional dissertation writer. Writing a dissertation requires a lot of patience and prolific study for desired outcomes. With the help of our professional dissertation help and guidance, a student can get rid of all these technical hassles and hustles, otherwise these errors may retain unfixed, resulting academic disqualification for a student. My Assignment Services is a one-stop destination for availing the right kind of professional assistance for dissertations or any college assignment. We have a team of leading experts with 10+ years of industry experience. Since 2010, we have submitted thousands of high-quality dissertations to students across the UK. To get your dissertation written by our team, simply fill the order now form or call/chat with our customer support team.